Thursday, September 22nd, 2016 | Collaborations, Free Stuff, Hot Happenings, Jewelry, Product Launches, Product Picks, Skincare, Swatches | Comments Off
Meilily is all aflutter these days over the new Fig + Yarrow for Target skincare collaboration, one of our favorite Target collaborations ever! The Fig + Yarrow Palmarosa Cleanser is the brand’s favorite from their Target collaboration, so we’ve been eagerly waiting to try it.
Read on for a full review of this standout product from the Target skincare collaboration, the Palmarosa Cleanser!
Review : Fig + Yarrow Palmarosa Charcoal Cleanser (4 oz., $19.99)
Our first question: “What the heck is palmarosa?“
Tuesday, December 1st, 2015 | General, Jewelry, Lifestyle Tips | Comments Off
Meilily Lifestyle: 5 Tips for a Calmer Happier Holiday Shopping Season: Habits, resources, and ideas to help us keep our cool.
It’s that time of year to re-visit our goals and inspirations (and our closets) to see what has been working and what hasn’t, and to find new ways to improve each day.
Let’s start with an easy yet powerful tip…
5. Make Your Bed - One of the easiest morning habits of many of the world’s most successful people is simply making the bed, according to bestelling author Tim Ferriss (“The 4-Hour Body”, Tim’s podcast episode on 5 Morning Rituals). This only takes 5-10 seconds to do, and creates a fresh space first thing in the morning. Also, developing small habits can help increase willpower, which will come in handy trying to resist shoes we don’t need.
4. Keep Calm and Step Away from Facebook - When you get the urge to check Facebook (link intentionally removed), instead, › Continue reading
Thursday, August 23rd, 2012 | Fashion, Featured Looks, Stores, Style Picks | Comments Off
Meilily Featured ShopStyle Look: Paris-inspired Print Blouse & Full Skirt for Summer/Fall!
If you’ve ever been to Paris and found yourself gazing longingly at any of the gorgeously understated shop windows, you’ll understand the inspiration for this Featured Look.
On my first trip to Paris, I stumbled upon an amazing window display for Parisian label, Cotelac. So delightful! Such casual sophistication!
When I soon discovered that an outfit of such understated sophistication as seen in the Cotelac shop window was not to be had for less than US$1,000, I vowed to return home and recreate the look for less.
Here is an admittedly more American take on the print blouse & full skirt combo inspired by Cotelac:
The look centers on a sheer print top in an enchanting woodsy green shade like this Maggie Ward silk blouse or a DKNY chiffon blouse with animal print (if you like that sort of thing). Of course you’ll need a full neutral skirt like this Gun Print skirt by Porcelain (found at Modcloth) or › Continue reading
Tuesday, March 1st, 2011 | Fashion, Photos, Style Picks | 4 Comments
Bringing you yet another Under $100 haul… this time from indie clothing sensation, ModCloth.com! For my first-ever ModCloth purchase, I managed to pick up some pretty fantastic items, if I may say so myself, all for under $100.
Total cost = › Continue reading
Friday, February 4th, 2011 | Jewelry, Photos, Style Picks | 2 Comments
Way back in March I finally ordered my very first Melissa Joy Manning jewelry piece, though I had been drooling over her jewelry for quite some time. Luckily I had the perfect excuse to shop, since Melissa Joy Manning was giving 100% of Sales of the Moonstone Ring to Red Cross Haiti relief efforts.
Monday, October 11th, 2010 | Free Stuff, Hot Happenings, Jewelry, Photos | 4 Comments
During my birthday month, Anthroplogie personally sent me a lovely birthday card and birthday gift. So thoughtful of them to remember my birthday! I know how busy they must be coming up with the cutest clothing every season, but they somehow managed to remember!
Perhaps it helped that I am an Anthropologie “member.” I originally signed up because it’s free and I like to shop there – plus they give you a membership card, the Anthro Card, in a really cute fabric drawstring bag. Since then, I have discovered some nice perks to being an Anthro account holder, including free shipping and now a surprise birthday gift!
What Anthropologie Got Me for My Birthday
Inside a lovely envelope of thick paper, I found a white card with a cupcake motif attached to a cute candle necklace › Continue reading
Meilily Hot Happenings Recap! Favorites from the Renegade Craft Fair!
Had a great time at the Renegade Craft Fair in San Francisco this past weekend! Did you go? Loved meeting tons of designers and supporting small/local businesses at the same time.
Some of my favorite designers from the 2010 SF Renegade Craft Fair:
- Nous Savons: Not only were the lapel necklaces unique and fun, but creator Jocelyn Nguyen was really sweet and friendly.
- Catia Chien: Illustrations – Delicate and beautiful. The children’s books she illustrated looked great! (Btw: Catia’s not listed on the Craft Fair artists page.)
- Souldier: Loved their reclaimed seat belt camera straps when I saw them on Photojojo – So many cool colors! Picked up a forest green camera strap, and I’m still trying to imagine the car it came from! (Souldier also makes guitar straps.)
- I Made You a Beard: Well-fitting well-made yarn beards. Need I say more?
› Continue reading
Tuesday, July 13th, 2010 | Jewelry, Photos, Product Picks | Comments Off
Meilily Product Pick & Photos: Nervous System Algal Bloom Necklace!
I first discovered Nervous System jewelry on Design Milk, when a white silicone rubber rodialaria necklace caught my eye, with its organic cells forming a sort of crystalline honeycomb blossom. I immediately picked up a large algal bloom necklace (shown here), a white rodialaria bracelet, and a small stainless steel rodialaria necklace. Love all of it!
Nervous System creates fascinating and unique modern jewelry based on natural geometries and system generated design. Their work is high quality, slightly geeky, and uber-gorgeous. Check out these photos!
This large Algal Bloom Necklace is one of my favorite pieces of jewelry from Nervous System, photographed here in gold. This necklace is gorgeous – I get compliments all the time. › Continue reading
Meilily Sale Alert! Melissa Joy Manning Jewelry weekly sales!
One of my favorite jewelry makers, Melissa Joy Manning, is currently having weekly specials on exquisite jewelry made in their Oakland, California studio.
Today only, get 25% off handmade chains at Melissa Joy Manning! Use code CHAINS today, March 19, only.
Not to worry if you miss this special, as each week there is a new special offered at the Melissa Joy Manning (MJM) online shop. (Plus you can always find MJM jewelry at tons of other retailers, including Barney’s and Free People.)
*btw 10% of MJM sales go to the Red Cross for Haiti this month! Also MJM uses recycled gold!
Tuesday, February 2nd, 2010 | General | 4 Comments
Down the Aisle: Wedding Stories Tales from real-life as this bride reluctantly navigates the wedding industry and heads down the aisle toward perfect bliss… oh, and perfect flowers, the perfect dress, the perfect ceremony…
Ring Shopping: Stage 1. Trying on rings and finding the right style (Part 2)
Continuing the ring shopping adventures from Part 1: A lot learned…
Random acts of desperation:
- Shreve & Co - We stop by the San Francisco store near closing time out of desperation to find something interesting. Shreve & Co has a decent selection of higher end brand name rings for women and men, however many of the rings look alike and do not jump out at me. The service is polite and the rings are pretty nice, but they aren’t quite my style – too classic, if that is possible. (Stopping by Shreve & Co in Palo Alto on a different day, staff there did not offer to help at all and largely ignored us. Wow!)
- Tiffany & Co. - I enter reluctantly, as my impression of Tiffany & Co is that they mostly have sterling silver baubles. Turns out they do have gold and platinum engagement rings, but the Tiffany’s experience leaves an odd taste in my mouth. Theirs is mostly a small selection of large diamonds on thick prongs (boring!), plus, sales staff seems oddly bored and reluctant to help.
Back to Cartier to Try a Ring in my Size!
- Cartier – Definitely less in awe the second time around, I confirm that my ring size is indeed European size “tiny,” but also realize that proportion and size both matter a lot. Proportional sizing can really change a ring remarkably. › Continue reading
Happy New Year! from Meilily
Welcome to 2010! Celebrate the new year with this collection of delicate rings selected by Meilily – symbols of unity, permanence, and eternity…
Rings shown from top to bottom, left to right:
- Miera T Diamond and Morganite Ring $563 at Max & Chloe
- 1/2 Carat Brown Diamond and White Diamond 14K Yellow Gold Ring $395 at Ice.com
- 14K Gold Diamond Floral Ring $125 at Ice.com
- 10K White Gold Diamond Ring $95 at Ice.com
- Demitasse Diamond Dot Ring in Gold $599 at Otte NY
- Monique Pean Diamond Slice Ring $1,360 at Barneys New York
- Joannes Treasure Hunt Tiny Yellow Diamond Stack Rings $400 at Ylang 23
- Wouters & Hendrix Gold Single Diamond Ring $375 at La Garconne
Column 3: › Continue reading
Wednesday, December 16th, 2009 | Organization, Photos, Product Picks | 3 Comments
Meilily Product Pick & Photos! Bird Vine Jewelry Stand from Urban Outfitters!
I’ve been on the lookout for nature-inspired jewelry stands – you know, the ones shaped like twigs and branches – ever since I discovered the variety of jewelry stands available at UrbanOutfitters.com. I recently picked up this lovely Bird Vine Jewelry Stand from Urban Outfitters, and love it! It is made of sturdy metal with an antique gold finish, and has branches, leaves, and two cute birds – all to hold and neatly display all sorts of baubles.
More Jewelry Stand Photos & Details… › Continue reading
*New: Get Meilily Updates by Email!
- Beauty and Awareness
- Beauty and Science
- Beauty and the Law
- Beauty Tips
- Featured Looks
- Featured Shops
- Free Stuff
- Hot Happenings
- Lifestyle Tips
- Nail Polish
- Product Launches
- Product Picks
- Product Testing
- Style and Technology
- Style Picks
- Tools and Brushes
- Work Product Picks