Monday, January 18th, 2010 | Jewelry, Weddings | 5 Comments
Down the Aisle: Wedding Stories Tales from real-life as this bride reluctantly navigates the wedding industry and heads down the aisle toward perfect bliss… oh, and perfect flowers, the perfect dress, the perfect ceremony…
Ring Shopping: Stage 1. Trying on rings and finding the right style (Part 1)
First stop: Wilkes Bashford (for Diamond in the Rough rings)
- I first noticed Diamond in the Rough brand rings in a Neiman Marcus catalog and fell in love. Searching the Diamond in the Rough site, I discover that their only local retailer is Wilkes Bashford, who just started carrying them. The rings are beautiful! Just what I am looking for – uncut, raw, and natural! My (first) favorite – a small white rough diamond in the “classic” halo style, set in white gold with a delicate pave band. I want it, but I won’t buy the very first engagement ring I try on! Plus, it comes in a different color, slightly larger. I will wait to see the other ring, but this could be true love! *More on Diamond in the Rough later… (Their rings actually appear in March 2010 on The Bride’s Guide, the Martha Stewart Weddings Blog.)
Next stop: Cartier Boutique (because I’ve always wanted to go in but never had a reason to)
- Oooh! I finally have a reason to open the huge Cartier boutique double-doors and step inside. As expected, the Cartier “bouncer” eyes me warily. The selection of Cartier engagement-style rings feels surprisingly small, but I do at least find one interesting ring style, the Ballerine band, which is different from your typical giant-gem-on-a-prong rings. There is only one in my size available in the country (yikes), but they offer to ship it over for me to try on. How nice! The Ballerine band is my 2nd choice ring, though, it is also one of the few rings I have tried on so far.
Wednesday, January 13th, 2010 | Photos, Product Picks | Comments Off
Meilily Gift Pick & Photos! Tarte Cosmetics Crown Jewels Lip Gloss Set
When I saw that tarte cosmetics was offering a new lip gloss value set specifically for gifting, I was impressed. As a huge fan of tarte cosmetics and of value sets, I decided I had to get my hands on one of these sets!*
Each tarte Crown Jewels Lip Gloss Set comes with three individually packaged and “giftable” boxes, each containing five mini lip glosses. In total, the set comes with fifteen paraben-free lip glosses, which contain tarte’s customary natural ingredients and smell a little like warm sugar.
Photos & More Details: Tarte Crown Jewels Lip Gloss Set —› › Continue reading
Tuesday, January 5th, 2010 | Nail Polish, Product Picks | 3 Comments
Meilily Product Pick: Priti Soy Polish Remover!
Move over acetone! Hello, soy! Start out the new year with a resolution to avoid harsh chemicals in your beauty routine. One of the easiest ways to get a healthier beauty routine is to change your nail polish remover.
These days there are a growing number of plant-based better-for-you nail polish removers, and the hands down best polish remover I have tried so far is the Soy Polish Remover by Priti….
Not only does Priti’s Soy Polish Remover smell great (like sweet herb flowers), but it also contains biodegradable ingredients and essential oils, without yucky chemicals like acetone. This polish remover just melts away nail polish but doesn’t strip the nails of moisture! Instead, it feels slightly oily and seems to help prevent nails from looking dry and brittle after removing polish.
Personally, I think Priti Soy Polish Remover is the absolute best thing out there for removing nail polish in a not-so-toxic way! —› › Continue reading
Happy New Year! from Meilily
Welcome to 2010! Celebrate the new year with this collection of delicate rings selected by Meilily – symbols of unity, permanence, and eternity…
Rings shown from top to bottom, left to right:
- Miera T Diamond and Morganite Ring $563 at Max & Chloe
- 1/2 Carat Brown Diamond and White Diamond 14K Yellow Gold Ring $395 at Ice.com
- 14K Gold Diamond Floral Ring $125 at Ice.com
- 10K White Gold Diamond Ring $95 at Ice.com
- Demitasse Diamond Dot Ring in Gold $599 at Otte NY
- Monique Pean Diamond Slice Ring $1,360 at Barneys New York
- Joannes Treasure Hunt Tiny Yellow Diamond Stack Rings $400 at Ylang 23
- Wouters & Hendrix Gold Single Diamond Ring $375 at La Garconne
Column 3: —› › Continue reading
Wednesday, December 23rd, 2009 | Nail Polish, Photos, Product Picks, Sales, Swatches | Comments Off
Meilily Product Pick, Photos & Swatches! Paul & Joe Nail Enamel!
Ever since Meilily was introduced to the wide world of Paul & Joe Beaute, a Parisian cosmetics and skincare line created by Sophie Albou that is much loved throughout the globe, an intense Paul & Joe beauty addiction began to smolder. After receiving a Paul & Joe Beaute product from one of the ladies at eMakeMeUp.com, this addiction was set ablaze, and… hauling commenced immediately.
Paul & Joe Nail Enamel: Scented & So Feminine!
One of the most interesting products from Paul & Joe Beaute, and one of the products I first hauled, is actually the Paul & Joe Nail Enamel, not just because of its unique floral glass bottle but also because it is a scented nail polish! It applies just like any good nail polish, but then it also smells quite nice when dry – like soft fruity flowers – with no yucky chemical smell! Amazing!
Swatches & More Photos of Paul & Joe Nail Enamel —› › Continue reading
Wednesday, December 23rd, 2009 | General | Comments Off
Meilily Guest Blogging Alert!
Do check out Meilily’s guest post for the Shop It To Me Blog: Gift Ideas for the Fashionista who has Everything!
What are your best gift ideas for the fashionista who has everything?
P.S. Meilily is also a Shop It To Me Featured Trendsetter this week! Hooray!
Wednesday, December 16th, 2009 | Organization, Photos, Product Picks | 3 Comments
Meilily Product Pick & Photos! Bird Vine Jewelry Stand from Urban Outfitters!
I’ve been on the lookout for nature-inspired jewelry stands – you know, the ones shaped like twigs and branches – ever since I discovered the variety of jewelry stands available at UrbanOutfitters.com. I recently picked up this lovely Bird Vine Jewelry Stand from Urban Outfitters, and love it! It is made of sturdy metal with an antique gold finish, and has branches, leaves, and two cute birds – all to hold and neatly display all sorts of baubles.
More Jewelry Stand Photos & Details… —› › Continue reading
Wednesday, December 9th, 2009 | Photos, Product Picks | 1 Comment
Meilily Product Pick! Aveda Tea!
If it is anywhere as cold where you are as it is here, you may enjoy curling up and drinking lots of hot Aveda Tea. This is one of my favorite teas out there from one of my favorite beauty brands, Aveda. While I will admit it’s a little odd to be drinking tea from a company that is best known for its natural haircare and skincare products, I have gotten past the point of caring. Aveda Comforting Tea – and they only make one kind – is a unique tea that, I’ve heard, can get even coffee lovers hooked!
Aveda Tea has a warm and naturally sweet flavor that is not overly herbal or astringent, and it instead manages to taste nothing like the typically overdone flavors of mass-market caffeine-free tea. It tastes more like a unique beverage that fits somewhere between asian loose leaf tea, mellow kona coffee, and Guiness. Ok, perhaps it is far from tasting anything like Guiness or coffee, but I would say Aveda Tea is to tea as Guiness is to beer. It’s just —› › Continue reading
Previously featured as a Meilily Product Pick, the Intense Lipgloss from UK beauty brand Illamasqua definitely requires some good swatches. All the shades of Illamasqua Intense Lipgloss are pretty unique and unconventional, and often look quite different from their color in the tube when applied to the skin.
So, here are several swatches of Illamasqua Intense Lipgloss in Move, a dusty mauve shade with hints of violet, swatched in different lighting.
Meilily Swatch (above top) with natural shadow and light (left:thick, right:sheer)- shows how Illamasqua Intense Lipgloss in Move —› › Continue reading
Meilily Sale Alert! 2009 is shaping up to be a good year for Friends & Family Sales! Finally companies realize that consumers need lower prices and more sales! To get you saving and shopping (probably in your PJ’s) … here is a list of worthy 2009 Friends & Family and Black Friday after-Thanksgiving sales, many shared by my friends over at eMakeMeUp.com. (Updated as more details come in!)
- Aveda – free shipping any order – code HOLIDAY9
- Athleta – free shipping on $50 until Dec. 15 – no code needed
- Benefit Cosmetics – FREE US shipping with any $25 Benefit Cosmetics order. Code SHIP2009 valid 11.27.09–11.30.09. Not valid with other offers. Excludes sale items & sharpeners. Offer valid one time per customer.
- Beautyhabit (one code per order)
~ free deluxe Get Well products sampler to Dec. 8 – code GETWELL
~ free 10-piece sampler to Dec. 7 – code MYGOODIES
~ free shipping on $50 – code CATALOG
~ free full size LipFusion Lip Pencil for orders of $65+ to Dec. 1 – code PUCKERUP
~ Up to 50% off site wide at blissworld.com 11.27.09 – 12.01.09!
~ Get a full size super slough scrub (a $32 value) with every purchase at blissworld.com! Offer valid 11.30.09 only!
- Giorgio Armani Cosmetics – 20% off until Nov. 30 – code FAMILY **
- The Perfumed Court
~ Thanksgiving 10% off entire site to Nov. 30 – code Thanks10
~ 25% or 40% off select fragrance decants like Armani Prive, Melissa Flagg, Lush and more- codes November25 or Fab40
- Kiehl’s – 20% off and free shipping on $30 from Nov. 27 to Dec. 1 – code FAMILY **
- Julie Hewett – 15% off until Nov. 29 – code NOV15
- Shu Uemura
~ 20% off and free shipping over $50 Nov. 27 to Dec. 1 – code WISH09
~ 20% off, free shipping, and 7 deluxe samples over $125 – code WISHDELUXE09
- Beaute Cosmetics- 20% off (Canadian pricing) until Nov. 30 thanks to awesome swatch site TNBTTGSY – code KARLASUGAR —› › Continue reading
Check out more photos of my very special makeover on the Thi Cosmetics blog (and additional photos by Kandidlight Photography)! It was an amazing experience (hair, brows, makeup, lashes), and I loved every minute of it! Thank you so much, Taylor and Mimi!
About Thi Cosmetics: Taylor Pham started Thi Cosmetics with business partner and multi-talented friend Mimi Tran Rickett, and since then they have opened a gorgeous makeup studio in downtown Palo Alto, CA. If you’re in the area, definitely stop by – you’ll be hooked!
Read about all the details of my Thi Cosmetics Halloween Contest Makeover up next…
*See more about Thi Cosmetics on Meilily here.
[Photos shown above, clockwise from top right: studio chandelier, my makeover and costume, inside the Thi Make-up Studio. Thanks to Mimi for manning the camera while I was getting made over!]
Meilily * Live Beautifully!
Tuesday, November 17th, 2009 | Nail Polish, Photos, Product Launches, Product Picks | Comments Off
Sula Paint & Peel nail colors are fun and safe non-toxic nail polish alternatives that come in modern and fun shades. Now, Canadian company Sula has come out with fantastic new mini sets that allow you to try three different shades of peel-off Paint & Peel nail colors for little more than the price of one.
I highly recommend these cute new Sula Paint & Peel mini sets, especially if you are new to these non-toxic peel-off nail paints. You get to try three Sula minis for $12.50 (instead of $9 for one full size)! I’d also suggest getting one of the two available top coats ($9) to extend the wear longer than a few hours.
More Details and Photos of Sula Paint & Peel sets… —› › Continue reading
*New: Get Meilily Updates by Email!
- Beauty and Awareness
- Beauty and Science
- Beauty and the Law
- Beauty Tips
- Featured Looks
- Featured Shops
- Free Stuff
- Hot Happenings
- Nail Polish
- Product Launches
- Product Picks
- Product Testing
- Style and Technology
- Style Picks
- Tools and Brushes
- Work Product Picks