Wednesday, July 22nd, 2009 | Free Stuff, Hot Happenings, Makeup, Product Launches, Skincare | Comments Off
Meilily Free Stuff and Hot Happening Alert!
For one night only (in store) – Thursday, July 23, 2009 (5pm to 9pm) – you can get a free 10-day supply of Estee Lauder’s New Advanced Night Repair from any participating Estee Lauder counter!*
Or… find out how to get it free online if you can’t make it in to a store… —› › Continue reading
Monday, July 20th, 2009 | Hot Happenings, Sales, Stores | Comments Off
Meilily Sale Alert! Athleta Warehouse Sale!
When I first saw an Athleta catalog, I was instantly struck by how unique, well-designed, and reasonably-priced the clothes were, not to mention the fact that everything looked so wearable. Athleta has a fantastic selection of attractive performance apparel designed specifically for active stylish women, and their catalog features models and athletes who are both cute and fit! (Some of the Athleta models even have six-pack abs!)
Anyway, just wanted to make sure you know that Athleta (now part of the GAP family of stores) is having a big Warehouse Sale August 7-9 in Petaluma, CA, with prices starting at only $5. [Petaluma is just north of San Francisco.] Athleta has rarely had a sale or discount coupons in the past, so you don’t want to miss this event. Check out the Athleta Warehouse Sale flyer above for full details…
Happy Shopping! from Meilily
Saturday, July 18th, 2009 | Fashion | Comments Off
Meilily has once again joined forces with Independent Fashion Bloggers (IFB) to bring you the top editor-selected links this week! Meilily made the list! Check it out!
Make New Friends, But Keep the Old…
Edited by AsheMischief
Because fashion bloggers love both silver & gold!
Okay, that was a bit of a cheesy, childhood song for those Stateside, but I did notice one thing this week– fresh new faces and old familiar ones. From long time contributors like Mademoiselle Robot and The Musings of Ondo Lady, to new (-to-me) Our Ocean, Links á la Mode is an amazing way to meet new bloggers and discover new territories. Think of today as Make a New Friend Day on Links á la Mode…read new blogs for a fresh dose of inspiration and revisit your favorites to remember why you love them!
As always, we’ve got a delightful mash-up of posts, too… from how to score review samples to a thoughtful post on The Uniform Project and lots of great summer clothes and jewelry. Be sure to check out the forums too, as there are several great contests going on!
Links à la Mode : July 16th
- 39thandbroadway.com – NYC vs LA – The Fashion Week Debate
- Fabulous Finds Gal – Who doesn’t love a gorgeous pin-up? The pin-up poet’s gorgeous and creative new amazing book and insightful interview with the author.
- Fashion Dare – A Nautical Nod
- Fasshonaburu – Everyone has a list like this, places to go before you turn 50, a “bucket list” of things to do before you kick it, etc. Well, it sounds shallow and superficial (and by “sounds” I mean “is”), but I have a list of things I want to buy before I enter my nex
- HiFashion – The Lazy Girl’s Guide to Good Health
- Hong Kong Fashion Geek – Wide-leg pants and how to make them work for you
- Independent Fashion Bloggers – Not Buying It: How has the recession affected your fashion blog?
- Mademoiselle Robot – A London Girl’s shopping guide to Stockholm.
- Meilily – Island Style Pick: Wood & Bead Bracelet
- Our Ocean – A colourful review of the clothes in An American in Paris.
- Retro Chick – Lulu Guinness Holiday Resort 2009 Collection
- Shop Diary – 2 days ago 1stdibs.com, the renowned antiques site, just launched a vintage couture, fashion and accessories designer section.
- The Capitol Fashionista – Modern Fashionista Travel with Vintage Luggage: What better way to add a little touch of class than packing it all up in vintage luggage.
- THE COVETED – Gorgeous New, More Affordable Denim from A|X and a $500 A| Gift Card Giveaway
- The Fashion Planner – ShoeDazzle – Review of Kim Kardashian’s shoe club.
- the musings of ondo lady – Mention the word Biba and you can bet that any decent fashionista will go all starry eyed. This is because along with Mary Quant, Diane von Furstenberg and Twiggy, Biba is right up there as one of the iconic fashion brands of the 60s and 70s.
- The Recessionista – 2 days ago Essential Summer Style Tips–Tips for essential summer wardrobe staples: Tips from The Recessionista Blog and Jones’ New York Style Guru Lloyd Boston
- Think Thru Fashion – Agate Accessories: Find affordable ways to wear the trendy crystal.
- threadbared – How the Uniform Project highlights fashion’s one constant — the tension between individuality and standardization
- tickle – Fresh Catch! tickle grills the designers of Delirius, a line as flirty as NY girls
- Unfunded – All Eyes on Hayden Panettiere and Lace!
Wednesday, July 15th, 2009 | Makeup, Photos, Product Picks, Swatches | Comments Off
Meilily Product Photos & Swatches: La Bella Donna Mineral Makeup Compact
While in Kauai, I made sure to get swatch and product photos at the beach, so with some help, here are some amazing product photos and swatches of a La Bella Donna product…
La Bella Donna Vision of Mineral Lights Compact Colour Quad – Photos & Swatches
Vision of Mineral Lights is one of several La Bella Donna Compact Colour quad products, and comes in several shades that can be used as bronzer, eye shadow, blush, and highlighter. —› › Continue reading
Friday, July 10th, 2009 | Fashion, Photos, Style Picks | 4 Comments
Found this totally awesome wood and bead bracelet in Kauai, and just had to bring it back with me. As an accessory, I think it will go exceptionally well with brown, tan, and white outfits.
The stretch beaded strands of this bracelet are feminine and exotic. I also love how the wood piece is lightweight, tropical, and fresh, yet ever-so-slightly chunky.
More Details & Another Product Photo… —› › Continue reading
Meilily Sale Alert!
15% off at The Perfumed Court Anniversary Sale! Use Code TPCanniversary for the discount until July 13. (Find out more about Meilily Featured Shop, The Perfumed Court – Love their amazing selection of fragrance decants and minis!)
Get free shipping at Beautyhabit! Use Code INDIEBH until July 12, 2009 for free US shipping on orders of $35 or more. (Great Coupon! See below for Beautyhabit products…)
Get up to 50% off during the L’Occitane Summer Sale Ending Soon. Also get free shipping this week on orders of $40 or more until Tuesday!
Happy Saving! Happy Shopping! from Meilily
Wednesday, July 8th, 2009 | Product Launches, Tools and Brushes, Wishlist | 5 Comments
Can one have a crush on brushes? I don’t normally get excited about makeup brushes, other than synthetic kabuki’s, but Lancome’s new limited edition blue-black makeup brushes are immensely attractive, and this brush set is one of only a few new products that I predict will strike ahhhh in the hearts of consumers everywhere.
The limited edition “Declaring Indigo” set of Lancome’s new blue-black brushes will be available to ship from Nordstrom.com starting July 17, 2009 (pre-order now). This smolderingly beautiful new Lancome brush set is a $124 value, and comes with four blue and black bristle brushes and a pretty blue-black brush clutch for only $52.
The Nordstrom-exclusive Lancome brush set includes the following 4 brushes:
- Mineral Powder Foundation Brush
- Foundation Brush #2 (liquid foundation brush)
- Blender Brush #4 (face and eye blender)
- Dual-Ended Brush #18 (liner and shadow)
*To view a larger-size image of the brush set with bag, click here.
(Note: According to Lucky Magazine, the price of this brush set will go up a lot after August 2!)
[Update: I checked out these brushes in person, and most of them are synthetic, according to the salesperson. I think only the blender is not synthetic. Also, the bag is really cute!]
Meilily Wishlist Item: Lancome’s Limited Edition “Declaring Indigo” Brush Set!
Monday, July 6th, 2009 | Beauty Tips, General, Photos, Product Picks, Skincare | 2 Comments
While Meilily is on vacation in Kauai, here are some beauty and skincare product tips on what to bring on your next summer beach vacation… Check out this comparison of what Meilily brought, and what Meilily actually ended up using (and not using) while on vacation!
Beauty & Skincare Products for a Summer Beach Vacation
- Mineral Sunscreen -Lavera Sun Block SPF 40 Neutral Sunscreen (thick, mineral sun protection, whitening, but actually waterproof- perfect for hiking, snorkeling, and even beach-sitting!)
- Insect Repellent – Skin So Soft BUG GUARD Plus Picaridin Insect Repellent Towelettes (easy to apply in the right amount and smells pretty good)
- Natural Deodorant – Tom’s of Maine Natural Long-lasting Care Deodorant in Apricot (great, but perhaps not enough for a day-long trek through a swamp apparently)
- Hair Conditioner sample packets – DHC has some generous hair care samples (4 Free DHC Samples with Every Order.)
- A basic razor – I brought a disposable razor (shame on me), but non-disposable works too
- A wide brim fold-able sun hat – found one at Nordstrom on sale (so useful in hot sun!)
- Large sunglasses (really helps keep the delicate eye area protected from sun)
Good-to-haves… —› › Continue reading
Wednesday, July 1st, 2009 | Fashion, Photos, Style Picks | 1 Comment
Meilily is on vacation in Kauai this week…
I probably won’t be updating as much when I’m away, and instead hope to do as much snorkeling, hiking, beach-sitting, photo-taking, ooh-ing and aaah-ing as possible…
Meilily Beach Vacation Style Pick!
In line with the beach vacation theme, here is a great swimsuit find from… Target (of all places) that works great for active beach vacations. I just tried it out during a day full of snorkeling and wandering about town, so this style pick is tried and true!
While many of you may not consider stores like Target a one-stop vacation wear shop, I found a good-coverage two-piece tankini swimsuit with swim skirt from Target’s Merona clothing line for only $19.99 each piece. Given that all the swimsuits I had been looking at (J.Crew, Athleta, Victoria’s Secret) were either too expensive for my current budget (over $40 per piece), oddly patterned, or too skimpy (think “coming-off-in-the-next-wave“), this Merona swim outfit was a lucky find! It’s perfect for transitioning easily from street to swim, especially since the swim skirt has an attached bikini bottom!
Happy Swimming! from Meilily
Thursday, June 25th, 2009 | Makeup, Photos, Tools and Brushes | 1 Comment
Meilily IMATS Haularama!
Just wanted to share my haul from IMATS 2009, the International Makeup Artists Trade Show held in Los Angeles. I was there on Day 2 and picked up a satisfying budget-friendly haul. It’s a small haul by any means, but, I didn’t want to go overboard, given the economy right now! You should be proud!
Make Up For Ever (MUFE) offered 40% off at the show, and most exhibitors offered at least 20-30% off! So here’s what I picked up:
- MUFE Diamond Cream in shade 4 Flesh
- MUFE Empty 3 Pan Palette
- MUFE Diamond Eye Shadow in 308 Diamond Night Blue
- MUFE Eye Shadow in 167 True Blue
- MUFE Eye Shadow in 144 Periwinkle Blue
- Obsessive Compulsive Cosmetics Loose Colour in Glisten (“pale peach/coral shimmer”)
- Obsessive Compulsive Cosmetics Loose Colour in Burning(“bright coral with subtle violet shimmer”)
- Mehron Cheek Cream in Bronze (~50% off!)
- Royal & Langnickel Tri-color Nylon Kabuki Brush – Small Dome (50% off!)
- Royal & Langnickel Tri-color Nylon Kabuki Brush -Medium Angle (60% off!)
Keep Reading for More Meilily Haul Photos… —› › Continue reading
Wednesday, June 24th, 2009 | Hot Happenings, Makeup, Photos | Comments Off
More Photos from IMATS 2009 (Day 2)…
Continuing the coverage of Meilily’s visit to Los Angeles for IMATS, the International Makeup Artists Trade Show: Here are more photos from IMATS Day 2, with a focus on film makeup and some disturbing but fascinating oddities from the show!
*Don’t forget to check out Meilily’s Part 1: IMATS Highlights & Photos, with MAC Pro body art!
Note: I placed these photos in order of oddness, starting with a normal makeup photo…
Monday, June 22nd, 2009 | Hot Happenings, Makeup, Photos, Sales | 3 Comments
Meilily traveled to Los Angeles for IMATS, the International Makeup Artists Trade Show, and was there for Day 2 of the makeup trade show. There were tons of great brands and supply stores touting their wares, including MAC Pro, Make Up For Ever, Bobbi Brown, Obsessive Compulsive Makeup, and Mehron, as well as Royal Langnickel Brushes, Namies, Nigel Beauty Emporium, and tons of others.
Here are some highlights from IMATS Day 2:
It was fantastic to see all the body painting and special effects makeovers going on!
Keep reading for more photos from IMATS… —› › Continue reading
*New: Get Meilily Updates by Email!
- Beauty and Awareness
- Beauty and Science
- Beauty and the Law
- Beauty Tips
- Featured Looks
- Featured Shops
- Free Stuff
- Hot Happenings
- Lifestyle Tips
- Nail Polish
- Product Launches
- Product Picks
- Product Testing
- Style and Technology
- Style Picks
- Tools and Brushes
- Work Product Picks